Golf String Drill for Centered Swing Position
Golf Swing Drill: Center Your Pivot
We are back with the string, that great teaching aid that is going to make you a better player. One of the things that we see with golfers is that they tend to move all over the ball and they do not even realize it. What we are going to do is use that string to help us train to stay a little more centered. I think the better centered your pivot is, and I did not say keep your head dead still, I said the more centered your pivot is the better off you are going to be in terms of making a consistent return back to the ball. Here is a typical move.
Use String to Straighten Your Backswing
Golfers will get in here, they will take a reasonably good set up and then in the backswing they will come way off the ball to the right. If you do that look at what you are going to have to do in that split second of the downswing to come back and hit that ball. That is not a good position so let's use the string. This one you can do in your back yard because you are not really hitting shots on it.
- So if you put that string in the middle of your stance and you are just trying to say ok, as I make my backstroke am I able to maintain my position.
- We do not like to see a lot of float back at the beginning of the swing.
- You just try to stay right here and of course as you start to turn here your upper body is going to have to move your head a little bit back. What we want is to go ahead and try to get you as centered as possible so that when you return back to the ball you are in that good impact position. What I call staying with the shot.
- Everybody knows good golf is not on the left side of the ball so when get in here if this is your vision of impact, with your left side forward, then we have a problem.
- We do not want you falling backwards behind the ball. We want you to just use that string to try to feel like you are staying as much on top of the ball as possible depending on what your body flexibility will allow.
Try that drill in your back yard, it will really help you.