The Benefits of Proper Golf Club Fitting
Hi, I am Stan Sayers, Director of Instruction at McGetrick Golf Academy and today I am going to talk to you when going through a club fit.
Steps to Proper Fitting Golf Clubs
- The things that you should expect for one is that your clubs will be evaluated and you will be told whether they fit you or not.
- From there you are going to go through a lie angle check, which checks how the club lands at impact, which effects direction.
- You will be checked on clubhead design. Here I have a non-offset clubhead design and here I have an offset clubhead design with a little goose neck right here. This will tend to hit it more right, non-offset, and offset will tend to hit it more left. this is the same in your irons.
- You will be checked on length, type of shaft, could be heavy steel, light weight steel, graphite.
- You will be checked on flexibility of the shaft, stiff, regular and on down.
- Checked on where the kick point of the club is, it is either going to be a low kick which throws the ball up in the air for most people, a high kick which throws the ball down for most people, or a mid kick which is obviously in between. Notice I said most people. I said that because there are a lot of times people who fit in a certain shaft, they may fit in a low kick shaft that for anybody else would throw the ball up in the air but for them it throws the ball down. It is just how they load the shaft and it is how the swing in balance.
Benefits of a Club Fitting
The next thing that you are going to see is that when your clubs fit you should be in balance without struggle. You should see your flight on the range, you should be able to see your own ball flight and you should be able to understand why your clubs fit you. If you go through those things, be it launch monitor which helps tell you spin rate and helps you determine what is the most effective driver, if you go through those things you should really be club fit well and your fitter should have an understanding of every effect of every club. Ask all the questions, make sure you are prepared, look it up on the internet. Get ready for your club fit and be prepared to play some better golf.