Golf Swing Drills to Stop the Over the Top Slice
How to Fix the Over-the-Top Slice
For those of you who slice the ball or are a little bit steep on your downswing, here is a practice station that can help get rid of that forever.
Here is what we are going to do.
- Get yourself a can of water soluble spray paint that golf superintendents use so that you do not hurt the grass or the environment and it will go away in a couple of days.
- We are going to draw a target line on the grass with an arrow pointing at the target.
- Now we want to draw the shape of your swing in here, we are going to a loop to your swing, we are going to go inside and back and then loop in around and back to the target line. The first part will be your backswing line and the second half will be your downswing life.
- What we are going to do with your swing is we are going to put a golf ball on the target line where it intersects the loop so that you have a reference point and when you make a divot you will see that it is along the line, outside in or inside out.
- Now our divot should actually go along your target line or fractionally to the left of it because the swing is on a circle and the circle after impact is moving around to the left. Here is what it is going to look like. On your backswing you are going to swing along the first part of the loop and on your downswing it is going to come in more on the second part of the loop. It is almost like you have an inside loop to your swing.
Those of you who are steep in your downswing and create a big hole in the ground or top your ball or slice your drivers or pull your short irons tend to go in on the backswing and then up and over so you have the opposite pattern. Let me show you with a shot. You can see there was a little loop to my swing which brought the club to the inside, face closed to the ball and I hit a nice gentle draw.
Get Rid of Your Golf Slice Forever
Do this drill here painted on the ground so that you can see it. Make your swing a little bit slower so that you can actually feel the swing while it is going on. You will get rid of your slice forever.
About the Instructor
1700 17-Mile Drive
Pebble Beach, CA 93953