Tips for Hitting the Golf Ball Farther
Let's say we are in a situation where an extra 10 or fifteen yards can really make a difference, where you really want to let this driver go. What are a couple of tips that can help you hit the ball longer in certain situations.
- Well hopefully you are not swinging your normal driver swing more than 80 or 80-five percent. It is tough if you are always swinging at 100 percent to really be consistent. Most people have a little bit left in there for power.
- So when you set up to hit the long drive tee the ball higher.
- Get a little more forward, and I like people to tilt back just a little bit more to allow for that high tee and to really allow them to get behind the golf ball on the backswing.
- You kind of set up a little more back as a slight little tip.
- So ball forward, lighten your hands, really relaxed because tension can kill the golf swing and really slow you down. You want to be nice and light, you want to make sure that you take a slow deliberate backswing.
Keep Your Body in Sync During Your Golf Swing
A big problem people make when they are trying to hit it further is that they go faster on the backswing, this allows the club to get away from them, they do not sync their body up and they do not really get coiled behind the golf ball. To hit that ball extra long we are really going to coil into that back leg, a good shift into that back leg and behind the golf ball.
Now going through it we are obviously going to feel like we are accelerating that club well past the golf ball and to do that I am going to give you a tip that Lighthorse Garry Cooper gave me, you probably do not know who he is but he is in the Hall of Fame, he has been gone for some time now but I taught with him when I was first in NY. To hit the ball longer he always said let the club shaft hit your neck quickly. Get the club shaft on your neck quickly. I will crank one out here trying those tips. Relaxed, slow on the backswing, let that club hit my neck quickly. Give that a try the next time you have a big wide fairway, a following wind and you think you can get on a par-5.