Hi, I'm Margaret Platt-Klaus and I work at the Jim McLean Golf School at the Doral Resort and Spa in sunny Miami, Florida. Today we are going to talk about impact and a couple of good drills you can do to achieve a good impact position.
Drill #1: Impact Bag
- One would be to use an impact bag, or a canvas bag filled with old towels will also do. What you should do is set up the edge of the bag in the center of your stance and hit it slowly on your downswing with about 30 percent of your power.
- What you want to do is try to achieve a good impact position.
- Right heel off of the ground, right knee kicking in and hands in front of the ball.
Drill #2: Set-Up
- Another drill that you can do at home is to use a door frame or door jam in your house.
- Put the clubhead against the door frame and slightly push and exert pressure against the door frame, feeling the shaft bending forward with a little bit of tension.
- The hands should be ahead of the door frame, right knee kicking in and right heel off of the ground.
These are two simple drills that you can do at home to help you achieve the different feel between impact and setup.