Hi, Jim McLean. The eight-step swing. I've spoken all over the world about the eight-step swing and a lot of people know me from the eight-step swing. We have books and videos, we talk about it all of the time. I'm going to go through the eight steps with you quickly. Those are from address, which I call the universal position, it's not a step.
The Jim McLean 8-Step Swing
The steps start like this:
1) Three feet off the ball which is your first move, your first takeaway move where everything stays in position, there are no quick moves with the hands. No rolling of the clubface but everything moving away together, just the beginning part of the golf swing. Very important.
2) Halfway back, position two, looking at our extension, looking at the position of the golf club, is it in the right place? Is the shaft pretty much pointed down the target line?
3) Position three, a three-quarter golf swing. Are the elbows quite level? Is the club up? Is the shaft pointed pretty much on the plane line?
4) Position four, all the way up to the top, are we loaded up behind the golf ball or in a good position to go forward?
5) Position five, halfway down, does the club fall down into a good delivery position? Are my hands in the right place to hit the golf ball? Am I on-plane?
6) Position six, impact, the moment of truth in golf. Have I shifted over to my left leg? Is my head back in position? Make sure that I haven't shifted out in front of the golf ball, I haven't slid too much or I have not spun out. So there's a lot of things to talk about here at impact. But it is tremendously important to understand what you're trying to do.
7) Position seven, halfway through. Actually we look at a few spots, post impact here, halfway through and a little further if you're in step seven. You're basically halfway through with the toe back up the club shaft back in line.
8) Then through to the finish position and rebound, step eight. Those are the eight positions, the eight steps, if you'd like to get more information and really get a detailed look at the eight steps, look at the eight-step video. You could get that on our website, it's a great tape, I think you'd enjoy it.