How Women Golfers Can Get More Power
After learning and understanding the basics of the golf swing, every golfer would like to have more power. This is particularly difficult to accomplish, especially for women, many of whom tend to be smaller and not as strong as their male counterparts. However, it is possible for women golfers to get more power as long as the fundamentals of the swing remain intact.
- Adjust your stance to get added power. Normally, you will have your shoulder square to the target and your left foot will be directly underneath your left shoulder. Turn your left foot a few degrees toward the target. The left side of your foot will now be angled a bit. This will allow you to get greater velocity when your turn your hips.
- Play the ball about two ball lengths closer to your left foot than your right. Under normal circumstances, you will play the ball midway between your two feet or perhaps one ball length closer to the left. Playing it two ball lengths closer to your front foot will allow you to get the ball up in the air faster and higher.
- Tilt your upper body to the right slightly as you address the ball. Your spine will be straight, but it will be tilted to the right. This is called the "power lean" in golf, and it will help you generate added power. It will take a while to get used to it because you will be slightly off balance, but it will give you more power.
- Use slightly longer clubs than you have been using. This is perhaps the most difficult step for a woman golfer to master because longer clubs can be a bit unwieldy, but they will provide more power. You will have to flatten your swing plane and step an inch or two further away from the ball, but the added power will come.
- Go to the practice range and hit balls regularly as you attempt to add power to your swing. If you have built a consistent and repeatable swing but are unhappy with your distance, you will be able to get more distance, but your body will have to relearn all the aspects of the swing. That's why diligent practice is required.
Tips & Warnings
- Realize that you understand the fundamentals of the game, and that will not change as you attempt to bring the power element to your swing.