Golf Travel Tips - Where to Go If You Have a Complaint or Problem With a Golf Travel Service Provider

Julie L. Moran

By Julie L. Moran

Unfortunately, some travel companies are much better than others. It's always important to check out a travel agent or tour operator thoroughly before dealing with them, but sometimes even careful consumers run into problems. The following are some tips on who to contact if you feel you've been scammed by a travel company or you wish to make a complaint.

If you received the offer or made arrangements through the mail, notify the postal inspector at your local post office right away. You can also contact and file a complaint with Chief Postal Inspector of the U.S. Postal Service, 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Washington, D.C. 20260.

Other organizations where you can file a complaint for any kind of travel fraud include your local Better Business Bureau (although you may get charged a small fee to file the complaint and they do not actively investigate claims) and the American Society of Travel Agents (they keep complaint files on non-member agents), (703) 739-2782, Consumer Affairs Dept., 1101 King St., Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, or online at You can also call the Federal Trade Commission at (202) 326-2000 to file a complaint. Reporting the incident helps protect others from being taken by the same company, and for some companies, a complaint might be an incentive to work the problem out with you.

If you've been a victim of fraud and seek a group to help you take action, contact Call for Action, 5272 River Road, Suite 300, Bethesda, MD 20816, (800) 647-1756. You can also call the consumer hotline at The National Fraud Information Center, (800) 876-7060 or write to Box 65868, Washington, D.C. 20590. For senior citizens, the AARP has a consumer affairs section. You can call (202) 434-6030, write to Consumer Affairs Section, 601 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20049 or visit them online at (Note: AARP is an organization serving individuals ages 55 and up.) If the fraud or other problem involves air travel, you can contact Ralph Nader's Aviation Consumer Project at Box 19029, Washington, D.C. 20036 or (202) 638-4000. For fraudulent airline advertising, contact the Dept. of Transportation by writing to The Office of Consumer Affairs, 400 7th Street SW, Washington, DC 20590, or calling them at (202) 366-2220, or visiting their website at

If you can't resolve a dispute with a hotel or motel, and you've contacted the manager and the corporate headquarters to no avail, you can contact the American Hotel and Motel Association at 1201 New York Avenue NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005-3931, (202) 289-3100, or online at

Another place to head if you've been cheated is to contact your local and/or state Office of Consumer Protection or Consumer Affairs to register a complaint. They will not only take a report of the problem, but often can provide information such as what remedies you may have available to you and may be able to assist you with your claim. *

More Travel Tips by Julie L. Moran

Subscribe Today

Get our best training tips, videos, and tee times deals -- straight to your inbox

Tee Times Deals to your inbox
Join our mailing list today!


J.J. S. unlocked the Golden Golfer Achievement!
Recorded 10 rounds.
J.J. S. unlocked the Ace Achievement!
Placed #1 on the Clear CreekLeaderboard .

J.J. S.  Scored 91 at  Lake Caroline Madison, Mississippi

Barbara B. added Eagle Creek to Favorites

Barbara B. joined GolfLink

View Activity Feed

Video of the Day
Clubface Alignment Watch Video>>

Understand Reverse Pivot Causes Keeping your head directly over the ball during the backswing causes you to shift your weight forward, instead of loading up on your back leg, causing a slice or hook
Control Chip Trajectory Regardless of trajectory, always use the same stance, setup and grip; just change your ball trajectory and swing length
Downhill Chipping Technique When chipping off a downhill lie, the most important tip is to level your shoulders to the slope of the ground so that your club makes contact at the ball